It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Episode 15, CoS 11-12: A Damp Squib
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:38 pm 

Location: In the Room of Requirement, practicing Patronuses with the DA
About the writing style: honestly, as a ferocious reader and an aspiring writer myself, I think it's brilliant. Especially in DH. I don't have my books on me, but I think I've quoted before some of her beautiful, lyrical, emotionally charged passages. She just captures emotion so well. As for the "overuse" of some metaphors: there's only so many ways you can phrase something to accurately capture it. The "Snape is a bat" example makes sense because bats are tricky creatures; so many people are afraid of them, they are often I accurately portrayed, and yet many species of bat rid the world of many pests. How else could you so neatly describe and sum up the character of Snape? Sure, it can get a little repetitive, but if you look closer, it's absolutely brilliant blue, the more simplistic writing style lets the story shine through more. If you keep muddling it with long description passages, it would be a lot less believable. Simple is often the best way to tell a story. At least, thats been my experience!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:54 pm 

Wow. Looking at this reaction I'm afraid I'm going to have to stir up controversy in the forums more often. ;)

Guys to some degree I feel like we're having two separate conversations and I believe it's my fault. The evidence I started with - pointing to situations where Harry may have been being beaten, or near beaten - was good evidence to bring up, but my claim at at the end that this was proof that Harry was beaten as a child was faulty. All of our discussions about what did and didn't happen are completely matters of plot, which only the author of the series can fully disclose to us. But then I didn't really want to talk about "plot" - I wanted to take about "text."

Before I go on, what I'm about to describe may sound pretty mystical for most, but for a few others it may be right on. I'm going to elaborate on my English-Major perspective and how close-reading should really work. Before I begin THANK YOU Saiyangirl for compiling all the info for the books and others keeping up this debate, but again I think we need to change the way we're thinking about this question.

Thought experiment. Answer these questions truthfully in your mind if you please: What would you say if I asked you what Harry Potter was about? Ok. Now what if I asked you what it was really about?...

To some degree these questions ask the same thing, yet at the same time they don't. On the first question we might answer Harry Potter is about a boy wizard who attends Hogwarts, interacts with a variety of magical creatures, and grows up to save the world. Okay-that's definitely true. But when the second question is put to us of what HP is "really about" we're pushed to come up with something deeper. I'll wager you thought something different in your head than with the first question. You probably thought of the many themes active in the series-love trumping hate, life and death, the Hero story, dealing with racial/spiritual differences in society...the list goes on.

That said - what is Harry Potter really about? Is it about its plot - pure and simple - or is it really about its themes? Realistically, I think, the series (and any piece of art, really) is about both. But then how do these two levels of meaning figure in our analysis?

As an english major I believe elements of the plot of Harry Potter directly speak to deeper themes the story is concerned about. We see through the plot and glimpse the book's real issues by mapping words and images that repeat. You can do this with any piece of art - a painting, a song - you see where the crescendos are and you make a critical claim or judgement based on what recurs, what patterns you find.

So!... Harry's beating. I never meant to stand on the question of whether or not he was beaten for real, as that's a discussion of plot, and can only be confirmed by the author. The discussion I really wanted to have is what are the implications of this beating-language recurring throughout the series, which we can all agree it most certainly does. Noting the various patterns throughout the series, it gives you certain liberties to ask questions like "What is JK Rowling trying to say?" with this pattern or "What does this pattern mean for the book itself?" or "What are the implications of this theme in this context?" and you might happily surprise yourself with the answers you come up with.

Like I said, this sounds very mystical to many, but in most liberal arts universities in the United States this is the perspective we're taught to come from. By literally diving into the text and marking down repeated words/connections (such as Snape and bat, as mentioned before) or images of Harry being beaten, and then close reading the different ways in which these words or themes present themselves, one can discover things about these books they never knew before, and say something very realistic about how this story works/functions in terms of structure, not only what it says/tells in terms of plot.

It's like trying to get a better feel for a person by looking at their mannerisms instead of that they consciously say. You can do this with art too; by looking at the structure you look at the unconscious of a thing. With a novel or a short story it's made so much easier because you can literally highlight these repeats and patterns and draw connections between them.

So jumping back, if we were to make an academic claim for the repeated strand of beating in the story, specifically Harry's continual beating connections, it's clear that wherever Harry is on the beating theme it's usually because of something magical, and is relieved by something magical. Throughout the story-I think-domestic beating images are challenged by events in Harry's magical universe. Harry's hair continues to grow although Petunia tries desperately to cut it. Wood is not a stiuck to beat Harry, but the man who will let him play a favorite sport. Harry is confined starving in a room until a magic car pulls the bars off his window. Magic shields and protects him. Harry Potter suddenly becomes much darker as we learn to read magic as an extended metaphor in the series for a child's escape from suffering into imagination.

This is one interpretation. I would make this theory about the book for real if I went through the series and found sufficient data to prove it, and maybe complicate that interpretation if I found some other piece of evidence-but to be honest I don't have much time to comb through the books right now. And yet I have a sense this connections between magical escapes and beatings is present throughout the series and would make an excellent essay (or should I say quibble?) about how the story functions.

Whoa... That was a bit more than I planned to write, but I'm hoping my perspective on this is a little bit more clear. If you have any questions about this I love to think about this stuff, so please message me either in the forums or send me an email at Noah@staff.mugglenet.com. Not everyone's going to agree-most certainly-but this at least is what my schooling has taught me about the method of art-critique and its the perspective of many scholars out there.

Noah Fried
Alohomora! Podcast Host

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:09 pm 

Ahhhhhhhh... so THAT'S what you're doing!

Wow... thanks for the explanation, Noah. Since I had a dual major in two of the "hard" sciences, I had only a year of writing classes as my English requirement, and we didn't get this deep into the text (or if we did, I promptly forgot all of it as soon as I got my grade), perhaps favoring breadth of material over depth of analysis.

I still think that you go way down some convoluted paths, but at least now I understand a little better why and how you get there. I'll probably still need to be led by the hand sometimes, with long explanations using small words, but hopefully I'll remember that while I may think you're coming out of left field, proverbially speaking, there really is a method to your madness. And, mind you, I'm still going to push you (and everyone else, myself included) to back up any claims they make, especially for things that aren't literally in the text, and especially when the claim is made that "this is so" as opposed to "I think this could be so." I think there is plenty of room for discussion of what is likely, or what is possible, but I think it is important to separate those from what is definitely true. I've certainly come up with a few hare-brained ideas of my own, and had them made better by discussing them and arguing about them here, and I think that sort of discussion is helpful, because it give us practice in analyzing ideas and separating the wheat from the chaff.

ASU Sun Devil Quidditch fan, Ravenclaw
On Pottermore: MidnightMoonstone15, wielding a wand that's 10 and three-quarter inches, Fir, Unicorn core, Unyielding

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:21 pm 

Absolutely, and good for pushing me on this.

There is indeed a method to my madness and I actually go into some more detail about it in my forum.

I think these patterns that I'm talking about - especially word repetitions - if discovered in the series are as close to empirical evidence as we can get. We can then point to this evidence and argue that it structures the story in a way. It's a great way to accumulate data and suspend any big claims or judgments when analyzing a work. (That said - I still enjoy my occasional outbursts on the podcast, though I'll admit they're not always founded by text-evidence, but rather my general sense of what seems to be repeating.)

Noah Fried
Alohomora! Podcast Host

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:56 pm 

Location: In the Room of Requirement, practicing Patronuses with the DA
Oh, gosh, how I wish I had my books right now! I'd have sticky notes littering the pages (as I'm an English major too, Noah, this kind of stuff gets me really excited), marking every little thing. Looks like Christmas will be the time for a reread! Until then, I'll just be going off my memory.
On the beating, though, I like your idea that magic saving Harry in these situations is symbolic for a child's imagination. I don't know if I agree with you totally, though. Still thinking about it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 pm 

Wow, so much has been written since I logged off last night! Loved reading all of your comments and views - also a very interesting view you bring forth there Noah! On that view specifically, I just wanted to say that it reminds me of the interview between JK Rowling and Steve Kloves that's on the Wizard's Collection. Kloves was talking about how he'd written a spider into the script that Harry'd started talking to and named Alastor, and that Harry also took broken soldiers from the rubbish bin and lined them up on his shelf and talked to them as well. He explained that Harry sort of went mad in his cupboard, so that when Hagrid appears later on, the viewer might get the idea that this has somehow come forth out of the imagination of this very lonely boy. Rowling actually reinforces this point and says it's been suggested to her more often that everything that happens throughout the series can be interpreted as a fantasy life Harry creates to safe himself. The clip's on YouTube, so all you have to do is type in something like "JK Rowling Steve Kloves cupboard" to get it. I'm sure you all know it, but what you wrote just really reminded me of that and I wanted to mention it.

On to comments directed at me; of course I did not mean that there's proof of actual physical abuse in Harry's history. As Noah said before me; only Rowling would be able to provide us with a definitive answer on that. I apologise if I wasn't clear on that at every point in my writing- I wrote a lot and I did so very fast, so I may have lost track of emphasising that. English also isn't my first language, and sometimes coherent sentences slip away from me when I'm writing too excitedly (so much HP passion ;) ) and forget to check what I put down :oops:. Anyway; I just wanted to support my own personal thoughts as to why I believe it's likely, but, of course, not certain. And of course, it's perfectly okay that after reading my arguments, you believe it's another possibility but much less than likely. That I believe it's likely has to do with how much time I spend studying trauma and therefore, how much time I've spent studying Harry's mannerisms and how much weight I give to them. His mannerisms can of course, be interpreted differently, and this alone will quite probably already make you feel it's not as likely as I believe.

@Firebolt Of course you're welcome to turn any argument I use back on me, that's what the forum's here for :) Personally I'd say that, whether actual physical abuse was present or not, JK would not be willing to put it in explicitly as, especially the first books, have children as their target audience. An adult might deduce that it's there (or might not) through implicit means, but actual beating can easily be considered too shocking for children, and with good reason. Insinuations are safer in that context, but of course you're right; it's perfectly possible for these mentions to be exaggerations to showcase the situation escalating. Which is why it will always be a matter of guessing with our own personal arguments unless Rowling puts us out of our misery ;)

Regarding Harry's response to Umbridge; my belief is that she differs immensely from the likes of Vernon. Assuming he would have followed through in the past after raising his fist like he does in PoA, we see that there has been an obvious chain of events and reactions from Vernon leading up to this. Assuming he just shouts, it's still obvious how and why he gets to that point as well. Harry's used to him and his temper, has learnt to read his moods as a young child (happens with psychological abuse as well), and knows how to tackle them. Vernon is not necessarily sadistic; he just can't take it when things don't go his way and wants to control them, like through the shouting matches we often see. Umbridge however, is one sadistic woman. She tortures him, both mentally as physically. It's intentional, and she has the maliciousness that the Dursleys lack. I think this would've been a shock to Harry, no matter whether physical abuse used to be present or not- he has not experienced such blatant sadism before. It's much more frightening than anything he's experienced at the Dursleys, where he managed to find his way around things.

But I agree with you Firebolt; the Dursleys were always aware of their responsibility. Whether we agree to if Vernon lost control to the extent of a beating or not, Vernon obviously restrains himself and makes an effort not to inflict too much harm on Harry. He often tries to stop himself from shouting as well; making him go comically purple in the process, but he does make an effort. Dumbledore would be very likely to interfere if it got too serious, which is also why I think that any potential physical abuse would have been inadvertent and light or relatively moderate, and easily avoided by our smart, agile Harry. And there is a love there with Petunia, I agree. She would never have done anything physical herself, but she allows her husband to take control when she feels fearful, and he does at the very least start shoving around a bit when this happens. I still see it as a possibility that Vernon might have struck Harry at times, but she does have the potential to prevent this from becoming an actual beating; she does tend to remind her husband to control his temper, after all.

@KyKid942 I think that depends on your definition of physical abuse. People who lose control repeatedly and use violence against their child fall under this category according to our textbooks and, at least in The Netherlands, according to the legal and health system as well. Those people can feel terrible or uneasy about it afterwards and try to make up for it to their child; buy presents, hug them, tell them how sorry they are, tell them they'll try to do better, yet a social worker will still be forced to classify it as physical abuse (hopefully with a light physical severity and high hopes of no recidivism after intervention/guidance in raising said child). I agree that it's not necessarily correct to call it abuse when people lose control, and of course, there's nothing in research that says people have to agree with its findings; science isn't definitive and always open to debate and human interpretation. But when I dig into Harry Potter, I usually ám wearing my 'psychology-glasses' :geek:, and thus will use the definitions I'll later have to employ as well when (hopefully) working with traumatised children.

What strikes me about Vernon and his sister Marge though, is that they seem to have what we'd now consider an "old" mindset relating to raising children and the use of corporal punishment. As the same standards are not applied to his own son, he seems to be going quite far in at least his theorising of how Harry ought to be disciplined. And assuming the beatings he threatens with would actually occur (or variations thereof, such as striking Harry a couple of times and then restraining himself again because he realises what he's doing or is subtly reminded of dinner by Petunia), I just can't call it corporal punishment or a situation where a man simply lost his temper.
Then again, you could argue that I've been taught to draw a very strict line for when something should be considered physical abuse, because it's what's done in practice (both court as child protection services). Although I take severity and whether the child honestly needed any type of discipline into account, I will call it physical abuse when it happens repeatedly, regardless of the caretaker's intention. But of course, it's so much worse and so much more severe if this type of abuse is either intentional and/or causes severe physical injuries, and that that's something that definitely didn't happen in Harry's case is something I think we can all agree on :).

Haha, I think I wrote another essay :lol: Thanks for the compliments on the work I did on looking up the quotes and everything guys :oops: - the HP geek in me just took over! Great debate; kudos to everyone for being so articulate and continuously scrutinising arguments!

JinxYew73 on Pottermore; wand: 10 inches, cedar, phoenix feather, surprisingly swishy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm 

Hello, all. This is my first time responding to anything on this forum. There were just a few things I thought about while scanning the thread and listening to the podcast. I'll start with a forum post.

Quote:
I always thought that Ginny, under the diary possession, spoke Parselmouth to let the Basilisk into the school in the bathroom where the pipe entrance to the Chamber is. The Basilisk would travel up from the main pipe Harry, Ron and Lockhart used to get into the bathroom, then wait for its victim to be in the vicinity of the bathroom, attack, and retreat back into the pipe, and down into the Chamber.

Are we certain of the positions of the attacks relative to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom? If the Ministry was so concerned about attacks on the school, why hadn't they figured out a common factor with the attacks? Of course, it is Fudge we're talking about, who's strings are being pulled by Malfoy and the Board of Directors. Still, given that children were being petrified, wouldn't the Ministry take a more active role in scoping out the perpetrator?

In response to SheFlooLikeAMandan's comment on the podcast about Parselmouth's, I think that even non-Parselmouth's can speak to snakes, but that the ability to understand snakes is what separates Parsel's from non-Parsel's. Ron had done so in DH when he and Hermione went to the Chamber of Secrets to retrieve Basilisk fangs. It can be assumed that he's not a descendant of Slytherin, and therefore, doesn't have the Parselmouth ability, and yet the Chamber opened for him.

Also, about Voldemort picking Mrs.Norris as the first victim, this decision also pulls from the three signs of potential psychopath. Children with precursor psychopathic tendencies display cruelty to animals. Considering that it was Teenager!Tom Riddle that was controlling Ginny and that in his past he would abuse creatures, it would make sense that his first victim upon his release/possession of Ginny would be an animal. Plus, Mrs.Norris is the familiar of a Squib and Squibs are looked down upon by Purebloods, or at least that's my knowledge.

Is it possible for the Basilisk to change it's size? Or if not, it could be possible that it can look through vents. Perhaps it makes a noise and someone checks to see and becomes petrified. Given the Pottermore information about piping being installed in the 18th century, it seems to me that Slytherin may have some influence on the way the piping system was installed at Hogwarts, such as his own descendants as caretakers, since someone had to feed the beast, and might have specified extremely large pipes, to accommodate the very large, fully-grown Basilisk.

Could it be that Ravenclaws are more like they value knowledge above all else, the ability to gain knowledge, while Slytherin use their ability for intelligence and manipulate what they know to fit their own goals? In that way, I feel that Ravens are more of a 'pure' intelligence while Slyths are the tyrannical type.

I'm only at the 21:11 mark. I hope to finish it this weekend and I'll post the rest of my thoughts after.

Alice Parker - LadySpade - EchoSeer613
Slytherin with 10.25 in., Sycamore, Dragon Core, Slightly Springy.

Member of Last Resort HP AU RPG with 6 characters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:01 am 

Wow. This is amazing. I’m new to this so go easy on me. After re-reading and listening to the podcast this week (had to catch up with the previous ones too)… here are some of my thoughts

** I was wondering about the basilisk getting out of the pipes and into the bathroom too. And why would Myrtle not be aware? Later on when the boys come in asking about how she died and she mentions the infamous tap … why wouldn’t she mention that Ginny has been opening it all year? It seems like Myrtle is pretty much always in the bathroom (unless at a deathday party I guess). Was Ginny using another entrance to the pipes/tunnels? Perhaps like the hosts suggested, all the bathrooms are connected (obviously through the pipes).

** In terms of Hermione’s fires:
First, it is really interesting that wizards have specialties. I suppose McGonagall has a specialty in transfiguration, Flitwick in charms, etc. Lockhart was particularly gifted with memory charms. So what is it about magic that makes specific spells easier or more effective when performed by certain wizards? Like muggles who are better at math or art, do wizards' brains/souls just perform certain types of magic better?

Second, the “portable, water-proof fires” line made me think of camping and how useful Hermione would be as a companion on a camping trip. AND SHE WAS! Is this foreshadowing for the trio’s camping adventures in Deathly Hallows?

** The podcasters talked about Hermione’s rule-breaking in this section, as going against her typical good citizen character. This made me think though about other times when Hermione does this and the one that stuck out to me was the establishment and organization of Dumbledore’s Army in Order of the Phoenix. She is very instrumental in these events and really makes it come about. The “illegality” (I suppose in Umbridge’s mind) of this parallels Hermione’s behavior is Chamber of Secrets as they fight the Dark Arts. I think that others have made arguments about the complementarity of Book 2 and Book 5 (John Granger's Ring composition?). Perhaps this is one of those instances of complementarity.

** I think a Swelling Solution would be useful in cooking (plumping up your tomatoes, etc.), medicine like the podcasters mentioned, and in the creation of magical objects. I’m thinking of Fred and George’s fireworks. Perhaps they would experiment and perfect at a small scale and then swell to make the huge sort of display.
And what about the cosmetic use of swelling solution?? The image of a humungous pair of lips made me think of WIZARD BOTOX! Face treatments, more shapely bums, breast enlargements? There are vain wizards & witches too!

** The Dueling Club scene was particularly interesting to me because I think it also harkens to another event in a future book. This is the first real dueling confrontation of Harry and Draco. Harry uses the “rictumsempra” spell to make Draco laugh uncontrollably. In Book 6, Harry uses the Half-Blood Prince’s spell “sectumsempra” to make Draco bleed uncontrollably. Perhaps I’m stretching but I think the parallels are interesting. And add the fact that Snape is influential in both cases (as a supervisor/rind leader of the dueling club chaos, and as the creator of the sectumsempra spell).

** Also after Harry is spotted near Justin’s petrified form, McGonagall takes him to Dumbledore’s office. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE GET IN THERE! I’ve always been super intrigued by all the places and settings in JKR’s universe. This is a really important place where Harry learns about Riddle from the Pensieve adventures, learns about his true fate in his discussions with Dumbledore after Sirius dies, and finally sees Snape’s memories in Deathly Hallows.

Also at this point, I was struck upon re-reading about Hagrid’s inclusion in the scene in Dumbledore's office. He comes in screaming that Harry didn’t do it, etc. etc. He lived through the previous experience of the Chamber of Secrets and was accused himself. He doesn’t want the same thing to happen to Harry. He comes rushing to his aid.

** Caleb asked the question about what would have happened if Justin F-F had actually died instead of being petrified. I think Ginny would have felt so terrified that she would have said something or perhaps shown the diary to someone. She was already starting to fear it and if a death actually occurred, she probably couldn’t hold herself back much longer. If someone, such a professor, was able to look at the diary they might have discovered what was going on.

I really enjoy reading everyone’s comments and look forward to the next podcast!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 am 

Post Praise: Bronze
I'm not quite done with the podcast, but I ended up not getting to post my notes for the last several shows, so I'm going to while I have the chance! I also haven't rea the rest of the thread yet, so sorry if anything is repeated!

Founder's secret rooms- Well of course the new Pottermore info has just shot down all our wonderful speculation, but it's still an intriguing idea!

Harry being angry when Hermione and Ron don't visit him in the hospital wing- While I agree that Harry's hero complex has a little bit to do with his frustration here, I think quite a lot of it is just natural. I mean, his two best friends have just disappeared off my themselves without leaving him a note or anything, so essentially abandoning him. Maybe it's because I'm a girl who operates in large friend groups at school, but it's really not fun when all of your friends just dissapear on you!

Hermione and Ron hearing Mcgonagall- Well, knowing those two I wouldn't put it past them to be quite deliberately eavesdropping, esecially if they noticed teachers whispering or looking serious at breakfast. I mean, it wouldn't be the last time they sneak around to find things out! The other solution is that they just happened to be sitting on the end of the Gryffindor table close to the staff table at breakfast, and so could quietly eavesdrop without the teachers realizing they could be heard.

Swelling Solution- I can't think of a practical use for it on humans, so possibly it works on other substances and animals as well. So it could be used as a different method of making something bigger than engorgio or something... or you could just dip baloons in it to make them blow up ;)

Snape's lack of punishment for the firework- I think Snape does get his revenge on Harry for the whole firework incident. While he had no proof and so couldn't formally punish Harry, he was certainly able to be horrible to Harry at the duelling club. Snape is really nasty in the duelling club, pairing Harry with Draco and then whispering spells to Draco. But I definetly don't think Dumbledore had a hand in it.

Why did Snape help in Duelling Club?- Cause Snape is amazing at duelling, and the only one who would bother to deal with Lockhart. But again I really don't think Dumbledore had any input here!
Oh my goodness- I had never picked up that Snape is the first one to use Expelliarmus. WHOA.
:shock:

I like the connection between Snape and Bats. I always thought it was a great metaphor to describe his movement, swishing around with that cloak all the time.

Doctor Who reference!!!!!! :D

Voices in Harry's head- I don't buy into the theory that it's the horcrux talking to Harry. It's just a literary device to help tell us his thoughts- does no one else ever mentally talk to themselves? No? So I am crazy? :lol:

Wait what? Dumbledore instructed the Dursley's to send a present???? I highly doubt that. I think the Dursleys would send a present so they could mentally reassure themselves that they arn't mistreating Harry (even though they are). Dumbledore would never get involved. I mean, if a wziard asked them to do something, the Durseys would deliberately not do it!

I always assumed it was Penelope Clearwater hanging out with Percy down in the dungeons- now we know where Hogwarts students go to hook up! ;) I feel like there might be a quote at some point later where Harry recognizes Penelope as the girl he accidentally asked about the Slytherin common room, but I could be making it up...

Now to go finish the podcast!

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
Pottermore: HazelAsphodel27
Fir, 13 3/4 in., Unicorn, Unyielding

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 pm 

Post Praise: Bronze
@LadySpade & @Hufflepuffskein - Welcome to the forums!!! :)

Pottermore: LumosNight21399
Apple, Phoenix Core, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next