It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Episode 1, PS/SS 1-3: Yertle the Turtle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm 

Post Praise: Bronze
Use this space to discuss anything about the podcast episode, including content, questions, and general comments!

If you haven't listened to this episode, you can download it or listen online...
Listen | Download (Right Click, Save As) | iTunes | Transcript

NOTE: Comments posted here regarding Podcast Question of the Week MAY NOT be seen/read on the show. Head over to the main site, Alohomora!, to answer the Podcast Question of the Week.

"You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it." - Dumbledore to Harry

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Episode 1, PS/SS 1-3: Yertle the Turtle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 pm 

Regarding the Dursleys choosing to punish Harry as being responsible for the strange events, and that being at odds with their desire to deny that the events are actually strange... I would like to point out that the Dursleys, however cartoonishly they are being portrayed, are still human, and therefore prone to logical inconsistencies. Look back at your own childhoods; can you honestly say, even in hindsight, that everything your parents did in raising you was logically consistent?

=====
Around 39:00 into the podcast, the topic of Mrs. Figg's treatment of Harry is brought up, and someone asks why she doesn't treat Harry better. Arabella herself tells Harry why when she and Harry are taking the demented Dudley back to his home; she had to be sure that Harry wouldn't like coming to her house, or the Dursleys would stop sending him there.
Quote:
"Why didn't you tell me you're a Squib?" Harry asked Mrs. Figg, panting with the effort to keep walking. All those times I came round your house -- why didn't you say anything?"

"Dumbledore's orders. I was to keep an eye on you but not say anything, you were too young. I'm sorry I gave you such a miserable time, but the Dursleys would never have let you come if they'd thought you enjoyed it."
-- Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 2, "A Peck of Owls" US paperback edition (September 2004), page 22

=====
If you want your eyeballs and ears to bleed, you can see Tiny Tim performing "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" on the Johnny Carson show by clicking __here__.

It is not for the faint of heart.

=====
How does the International Statute of Secrecy handle situations with Muggle-borns and their extended families finding out about the Wizarding world? For instance, how would it apply to James telling Vernon about his broom?

ASU Sun Devil Quidditch fan, Ravenclaw
On Pottermore: MidnightMoonstone15, wielding a wand that's 10 and three-quarter inches, Fir, Unicorn core, Unyielding

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
Owl-Post & Tracking

The question you discussed about how the writers of the letters know where to address them - about Harry being under the stairs & then moving up: The owls people send do the same thing, they track people & bring the letters or packages to the exact room the wizards/witches are in (they wouldn't come through a window downstairs in front of the rest of the family if the receiver of the package,exc. were for the kid upstairs). They can track &/or instinctively know where to go. If you remember the chapter, owls are gathering (or at least one at this time) outside of the house - so they would know where Harry is. So there is definitely a WAY to track, in a way that may not just be for Owl intuition.

The example you guys gave about how the Ministry can detect an under-aged wizards performing magic - their must be different versions that maybe get put to you once your name is written down on the Magical paper of birth (as with when Hermione put a 'curse' on the member list of Dumbledore's Army - it knew who & when someone spoke of their secret).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:04 pm 

How could you Kat?!?! ;)

What I had posted earlier was that I believe about the owl-pay system is that there are people in the wizarding world who raise/care for owls as their livelihood. When Hagrid has Harry pay the owl he is bringing it back to his owner and the owl is in turn paid in food/care.

I just laughed so hard at the "love juice!" You guys are crazy.

Never play 'Tip-Toe' again...

Also, I will say this: as someone who is myself writing the first novel of a series I can personally tell you how hard it is to make sure you don't write anything now that will paint you into a corner later.

I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors as I am writing this in a dentist's chair...

Pottermore:QuestMirror6922Wand:14.5in Spruce,Unicorn
myHogwarts:Luke&CJ Padfoot

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 pm 

PadfootsPup wrote:
:shock: :o You said it, and I echo it, with SONOROUS!
PadfootsPup wrote:
I apologize for any spelling/grammatical errors as I am writing this in a dentist's chair...
Dang! You are one dedicated fan! (Or you have one very slow or over-booked dentist!)

ASU Sun Devil Quidditch fan, Ravenclaw
On Pottermore: MidnightMoonstone15, wielding a wand that's 10 and three-quarter inches, Fir, Unicorn core, Unyielding

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:22 pm 

First of all, I would just like to say thank you so much for keeping the Potter Spirit alive! Like Noah said at the end of the podcast, we can help the fandom live on by returning to the books and finding new ways to look at them. I really enjoyed listening to the podcast (and hearing your voices - for some reason I'm always intrigued to hear what people sound like, it being very different to seeing your posts on the forum!) and I really commend you on what you're doing :)

At one point in the podcast you mentioned how Dumbledore sort of comes across as the ultimate leader that no one really thinks to contradict. Many people just take his word for it because he is Albus Dumbledore, renowned genius. McGonagall seems in awe of him from the very first chapter where she says "but you're different. Everyone knows you're the only one You-Know-Who was frightened of". I just wanted to broach the question - is Dumbledore overly glorified in the books? Is he given too much credit for what he has achieved and does he deserve all this merit? Or is he more, for want of a better word, actually more 'normal' than we expected, that is, able to make mistakes and overlook certain facts?

Another point I would like to bring up is the mention of the Dursleys being very cartoonish. Looking over the language used to describe them in the first chapter, I can't help but agree: Vernon is a 'beefy' man with 'no neck', Petunia has 'twice the amount of neck' which comes in useful for spying on her neighbours. And I think the passage "Mr Dursley hummed as he picked out his must boring tie for work and Mrs Dursley gossiped away happily as she wrestled screaming Dudley into his high chair" is very caricatured as well. You mentioned how the aspect of 'evil' seems to evolve as the books progress, the 'bad' side of humanity being much more layered in the final books. And this got me thinking, was this a planned approach on Jo's part based on her evolving readership? Could she have considered that the kids who first read Philosopher's Stone were too young to be able to distinguish right from wrong without it being blatantly opposed right under their noses (an obvious dichotomy)? And would she then have decided to make Good and Evil a bit harder to discern as her readers grow older and more mature and comprehending of the concepts? Thoughts? :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 pm 

KyKid942 wrote:
PadfootsPup wrote:
:shock: :o You said it, and I echo it, with SONOROUS!
PadfootsPup wrote:
Dang! You are one dedicated fan! (Or you have one very slow or over-booked dentist!)

Yeah, I wrote that as they were giving me the oxygen to revive me from the "happy-gas!" Wooooo!
He came in and was like "are you texting?" Um....yeah, texting....thats what I'm doing.... :lol:

Pottermore:QuestMirror6922Wand:14.5in Spruce,Unicorn
myHogwarts:Luke&CJ Padfoot

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:41 pm 

I forgot to mention in my previous post how much I love the opening theme-tune to the podcast! I remember listening to that song on youtube a while ago and it bringing back so many magical memories :) so thank you for including that!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm 

Quote:
Yeah, I wrote that as they were giving me the oxygen to revive me from the "happy-gas!" Wooooo!
He came in and was like "are you texting?" Um....yeah, texting....thats what I'm doing....

Wow PadfootsPup that's dedication! Snapescape I'm glad you liked the show. To your thoughts on the Dursleys I think you hit the nail on the head. She was going for young readers in the beginning and she knew they needed to really feel the evil just by reading about these characters. The unintended implication of this is that from very early on in the books, she has set up a pattern - good characters look friendly, bad characters do not (and plus they're ugly!). Snape will, of course, prove to be the exception to the rule. But still there is a theory working here that inner beauty reflects the outer.. I still don't quite know what to make of it.

Noah Fried
Alohomora! Podcast Host

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:14 pm 
I think Vernon just wants to be as normal as possible - to the point of utter foolishness - because he was raised that way. Petunia clung to him because I think she kind of wanted to dis the wizarding world and completely go against it. This, I think, comes from the whole jealousy thing that Lily was a witch and she wasn't. In my opinion, Vernon rubbed off on Petunia a bit and sucked the remnants of magic out of her - something she wanted to happen, I think. I was also wondering, did Dumbledore and Mcgonagall have the close bond Jo described on Pottermore(when they share their experiences after he found her crying after the love of her life died) at the time of the first Chapter? And about the treatment of Harry, I agree-I think that every time they saw a bit of magic in Harry, they redoubled their efforts to squash it out of him and hated him just a bit more for not being "normal". And on the Vanishing Glass, I always wondered how did the snake "hear" harry through the glass? Maybe it is really body language. About the manifestation of magic in children, I think it depends on how often terrible things happen to them and how often they have bad or scared emotions and need magic to survive - Harry and Tom Riddle both had awful childhoods, and magic presented itself to them early - probably to help them survive. It also probably depends on self-confidence and if you knew magic existed or not in the beginning - Neville, of course, is so unconfident that he couldn't use magic early on. Mrs. Figg said she couldn't be nice to Harry or she wouldn't have the opportunity to watch harry in the future because the Dursley's didn't want him to have a good time. I think that owls probably woudn't have any other job in the wizarding world, and enjoyed delivering post. I mean, its either that or live in the wild, right? I think they liked putting their intelligence to use delivering the post. The Daily Prophet would be a subscription thing, so I think the owls are given money to deliver to whoever owns the prophet. Otherwise, I think that the owners of post offices for owls sell the owl service, but the owls themselves don't get paid. Why would owls need money? I think Vernon moved Harry to the spare bedroom, thinking he could fool the letters into thinking that Harry is still in the cupboard - trying to see if the house is still being "watched" or if there was only the initial check on where Harry slept in the first few years of his life, and the letter assumed he was still sleeping in the cupboard. I remember thinking that the turtle-murder was terrible, but I guess that's just Dudley, right? And tiptoe through the tulips is just creepy - manical, even, which really suits Vernon at that stage in the book. Also, I think Petunia knew lots about witches and wizards, but she suppressed it, trying to be normal. They say after the whole witches crossing water thing that petunia knew she had seen Lily cross water, but denied it in her mind and tried to forget everything. There does seem to be some kind of wizard-muggle racism thing going on, which is really interesting.

~Padfoot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next