It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Episode 26, PoA 13-14: The Amazing, Exploding Crookshanks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 pm 

Post Praise: Bronze
Use this space to discuss anything about the podcast episode, including content, questions, and general comments!

If you haven't listened to this episode, you can download it or listen online...

Listen | Download (Right Click, Save As) | Low Bandwidth | iTunes

NOTE: Comments posted here regarding Podcast Question of the Week MAY NOT be seen/read on the show. Head over to the main site, Alohomora!, to answer the Podcast Question of the Week.

"You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it." - Dumbledore to Harry

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Episode 26, PoA 13-14: The Amazing, Exploding Crookshank
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 pm 

I kind of flipped out when I saw this episode was three hours long (in a good way). And then I started the episode and heard you guys introduce Micah as the special guest and I flipped out even more. Yay for Micah and yay for longer episodes!!! :D

Okay, gonna go listen to it now...

Pottermore: LumosNight21399
Apple, Phoenix Core, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:15 pm 

In response to your debate on Umbridge and Draco's patronus-casting abilities:
First off, I think a pure heart can't have impure intentions. I believe Dolores is pure of heart because in her eyes, she has pure intentions. She also casts no Unforgivable Curses (to our knowledge) - arguably, she sends dementors after Harry in Order of the Phoenix, and tries to use Crucio to get information, but I do believe she wouldn't be able to do it- and works only towards what others have convinced her is the greater good. She is devoted to her workplace, which is the set-in-stone law, in the form of the Ministry of Magic. She, like many others, does nothing but enforce the rules the Ministry sets in place. Everything she does, she does out of pure intentions. At its core, she is racist, but that is once more a product of the corrupt Ministry; she disciplines a child for speaking out of turn and rebelling, which isn't unusual. Her methods may be archaic, but all in all, she had good intentions: order and justice.

I also think Draco can't produce a patronus not because he's impure of heart, but because he himself doesn't trust himself when is comes to his intentions. As is exposed in the sixth book, he is immensely conflicted and uncertain. Maybe, due to his sixteen-year-old murder attempt, he never fully trusted his own judgement again. Due to this hesitance, he can't believe in himself to procure the patronus.

KeyMarauder15888
WildStorm17373
RookQuest980

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:40 pm 

In response to the broomstick discussion, I found this quote from Quidditch Through the Ages, chapter nine, "The Development of the Racing Broom":
Quote:
Until the early nineteenth century, Quidditch was played on day brooms of varying quality. These brooms represented a massive advance over their medieval forerunners; the invention of the Cushioning Charm by Elliot Smethwyck in 1820 went a long way towards making broomsticks more comfortable than ever before. Nevertheless, nineteenth-century broomsticks were generally incapable of achieving high speeds and were often difficult to control at high altitudes. Brooms tended to be hand-produced by individual broom-makers, and while they are admirable from teh point of view of styling and craftsmanship, their performance rarely matched up to their handsome appearance.

It goes on to discuss the Oakshaft 79, which was designed for endurance and wind resistance, but was too cumbersome for successful Quidditch. Continuing on to the Moontrimmer, Silver Arrow, Cleansweep One, Comet 140, and more, all with different improvements. I think this brings up the fact that the main factor of broom quality is not the wood or twigs, but the enchantments placed upon the lifeless, inanimate form of the broom prior. While craftsmanship and wood quality do play a role in broom quality, I think the charms are more prevalent. I also believe there is some form of patent program for spells, which is what forms the tense competition between broomstick companies.

A small post-script - Where did the Firebolt brand come from? It seems to be the only modern broom company without a number behind it, and just comes out of nowhere, as opposed to a Nimbus 2002.

P.P.S. - I've never heard of OTP.

KeyMarauder15888
WildStorm17373
RookQuest980

Last edited by bravenclaw on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

Great show. I was so happy to have an over two hour show!

The first few comments that come to mind (a little nitpicky).

Someone - I think Caleb - said that he didn't think Harry produced a corporeal patronus at the quidditch game. I'm pretty sure he did. Because Lupin is shown to be both "shaken and pleased" (I think that's the quote) and he says "That was some patronus." I've always assumed the "shaken" part was because he just saw Prongs flying across the field.

Also one of you wondered why Sirius used a knife when he had his wand. I don't think he had his wand. It's possible that there was a trace on him like you suggested, but I doubt it, because he was using magic freely at #12 in OOTP. (On the other hand, perhaps a trace would have been undetectable given the Fidelius charm.) At the end of POA, Sirius didn't have a wand in the Shrieking Shack. He was using Ron's if I remember correctly. I'm guessing that someone gave a wand for Sirius or he stole one. Dumbledore may have suggested he steal a wand, because a wand would obey Sirius better if he'd personally won its loyalty.

James' Life Debt: Dumbledore was actually the one who raised this idea in PS/SS by telling Harry that James had saved Snape's life. But I thought Dumbledore was either stretching the truth or lying. I doubt Snape owed any allegiance to James or felt very bad about his death. It was all for Lily. His actions in PS/SS were motivated by his desire to protect Harry for Lily's sake

I do think that Snape knew that Lupin was Moony and was associated with the Map. Sirius and James refer to each other as Padfoot and Prongs in Snape's Worst Memory, if I remember correctly. Since Snape was so fixated on the Marauders as a teen, I bet he snooped on them enough to know all their nicknames. And Snape specifically asks Lupin whether Harry got the Map from the "manufacturers."

On a side note, I don't think James participated in the prank. If I remember correctly, Sirius did that on his own and once James found out about it, he rushed to stop Snape.

One thing I've always wondered about is the idea of James saving Snape's life. Snape and everyone else always talks about that incident as a matter of life or death. But you'd think that Snape would have just been bitten and turned into a werewolf. I know that werewolves can sometimes kill, as we see in HBP, but that was with a 5 year old boy not a capable teenager.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm 

HPAlison wrote:
On a side note, I don't think James participated in the prank. If I remember correctly, Sirius did that on his own and once James found out about it, he rushed to stop Snape.

One thing I've always wondered about is the idea of James saving Snape's life. Snape and everyone else always talks about that incident as a matter of life or death. But you'd think that Snape would have just been bitten and turned into a werewolf. I know that werewolves can sometimes kill, as we see in HBP, but that was with a 5 year old boy not a capable teenager.

I am pretty positive that you're right, HPAlison. James was not involved in this prank, and as I understand it, Sirius was acting alone in sending nosy teenage Snape to possible death or werewolf transformation. I wonder if Sirius actually thought James would find this prank funny, or at least justified.

Sirius gets rather stroppy whenever Harry shows himself to be more serious (lol) and mature than Sirius when it comes to some risk taking activities, and Sirius says "I guess you really aren't that similar to James." So Sirius remembers James as being kind of cruel, but James stopping Snape from coming face to face with werewolf!Lupin shows that James really isn't a cruel person, despite his continual harassment of Snape- he would never put his enemy's life in mortal danger.

Just some things to think about. I think Sirius remembers James to be a little more reckless than he actually was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 pm 

Oh. my. goodness. I love, love, LOVED this episode! Micah, you were hilarious and the banter between the four of you guys was so good! Really enjoyed this one ya'll. :)

I forget what context this question was raised in, but I don't think that Voldemort's soul is actually attached to Harry's own soul. I believe this came up in reference to whether or not a Dementor's kiss on Harry would take the Harry/Horcrux with it. The thing is, Horcruxes are not dependent on other souls to survive; they're dependent on the vessel that they live in and when that is destroyed, that is what ultimately stops the life of the Horcrux. In this case, the vessel would be Harry's body, not his own soul. So, if the Dementor took Harry's soul away, presumably the Harrycrux would remain intact and left behind since Harry's body is okay. However, if the Dementor can take all pieces of soul regardless of what is and is not attached to the body and/or other co-habitating souls, then that's another story!

I think Harry always takes the spotlight in Quidditch because he is the Seeker and that's it really. Jo sort of designed the rules of this game poorly in that all the work is done by six players just to be negated by whichever Seeker takes the Snitch because it's worth enough points to basically cancel out any damage done by the opposing team. So, even if the Chasers are scoring lots and lots of points, all eyes are automatically going towards the Seekers because that's where the real results of the game are going to be.

When you were talking about Neville being the one left to guard the Gryffindors from Sirius, I was totally thinking about how that makes Neville the Chosen One!!! lol

Okay, I'm now totally on board to find a good shipper name for McGonagall and Lee and then I'm totally adding it to my list of OTPs even if I probably won't actually ship it. But I'm so on the same page as you Caleb here!!! Well, in terms of knowing what an OTP is, but I guess not on whether or not we support this particular pairing! lol So, what'll it be? McLee? McJordan? Leegall? Jorgall? Other variants and combos therein?? Please tell me I'm not the only one totally enjoying this right now!!! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 pm 

Ahh, I totally forgot to include combinations with "Minvera"! I was only looking at her last name. So, we can also consider MinLee, MinDan, MinerLee, Lerva, Jorva... the list goes on and on. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: The Map Knows All
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 am 

This episode should have the red words "explicit" written beside it on iTunes XD

Regarding to whether or not the map knows who's talking to it...I think plausible to say yes. If the map is intelligent enough to know the positions and actions of the people in the school, it definitely knows who has it in their hands, because it also knows where it itself is, as it follows the bearer (seeing that it gave instructions to Harry). I think the map has been designed to work with the magical protection around the area---it can therefore identify the people who has entered its territory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm 

Great episode guys - definitely some more (hem) interesting (read "explicit") connotations explored! I enjoyed this one a lot. Great to hear Micah's voice again, takes me back to the first MuggleCast days.

Have just a few comments this week, but as I've just finished reading the brand new content on Pottermore, which is great this time, I have to say there is a lot of content on portraits and on the Marauder's Map which would have been great for the previous episode! It seems that portraits have to do with the level of magical skill and artistry of the artist though, not necessarily the portrait character itself.

Anyway, on to this week's episode: on the haunting of the Shrieking Shack: in reference to the "rough crowd" who live in the Shrieking Shack, that even the Hogwarts ghosts avoid, I always thought of them as simply a crowd of dodgy, extra bad ghosts. We find out later that obviously there were no ghosts in the Shrieking Shack, but before I found that out, I assumed there were some seriously dodgy/bad ghosts living there, that even the Hogwarts ghosts did not mess with!

One of the hosts said that we haven't really met horrible or "not nice" ghosts, because those at Hogwarts are generally nice. I thought of Moaning Myrtle and the Bloody Baron as examples of not nice ghosts though. Myrtle is only nice to a certain degree, and only to Harry and (possibly) Malfoy, because she likes them. Mostly she is pretty horrible. Also, the Bloody Baron has a reputation of being quite intimidating and seemingly has quite a quick temper (going on his stabbing of Helena Ravenclaw).

Regarding the Amazing Exploding Crookshanks - yikes!!! poor Crookshanks... I do think that Crookshanks would have had to chew Scabbers if he ate him, so I don't think Scabbers would have a chance to transform in Crookshanks' stomach. Although yes, why the heck didn't Crookshanks just eat him!!? I think however that Crookshanks is very clever, and seemed to know that Scabbers wasn't a rat, so might not have wanted to eat him, despite his constant chasing of Scabbers.

I simply LOVED hearing the McGonagall-Lee pairing comments, even though I think it is too weird a pairing to actually have happened at any stage! I would dub this "McLee".

On the "scampered" and "scarpered" issue - I have the UK edition and it's definitely "scarpered". Scarpered is a very normal word to British folk!!! and simply means "to flee". But perhaps it is more of a British slang/jargon term, and that is the reason it was changed in the US edition.

Ok, those are my thoughts so far... great episode guys! Can't wait for the "Desk!Pig merchandise to appear in the Alohomora store!

-Sylvia

Last edited by CatOak123 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile