It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petunia Dursley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 pm 

I think in a way Petunia's and Lily's Mum and Dad are to blume for Petunia's jealous of Lily having magicial powers and going to Hogwarts. They could put a stop to Petunia being jealous of Lily by founding samthing special about Petunia . Petunia did not mother Dudley she smothered him Petunia could have made Vernon be kinder to Harry make him a brother for Dudley but she did not Harry was just unpayed slave that the Dursleys never bought any new clothes for only what t Dudley did not wear any more so poor Harry only had clothes that were far to big for him and only had toys broken and Harry only got taken out when the Dursley had to when they went to the zoo Harry only got a lemon ice becaues the lady in the van asked what the orther little boy wanted and Harry only got a Knickocker glory becaues Dudley wanted a bigger Maybe Petunia was going to say samething to Harry before she was left Privet Drive but she was so bitter about leaveing her home and also Vernon could not wait to get away from Harry.

Last edited by Potter1977 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Petunia Dursley
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 pm 

I agree that Petunia's parents probably had a lot to do with Petunia's jealousy. Perhaps they were so proud of Lily that Petunia felt sort of left out and they didn't give her the attention she needed. Perhaps you are right, and this is why Petunia smothers Dudley so. Huh. I'd never thought of it that way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 am 

While I agree that some of Petunia's behaviour can be attributed to her parents I don't think they acted intentionally. It is understandable that they cherished Lily's gift. She was remarkably talent and it is natural for a parent to be proud and talk about this. You have to remember however that Petunia benefited from her parent's one on one attention From September to July. While I'm sure Lily was mentioned throughout this time I'm sure that Petunia was the main focus. I do concede that their parents could have helped Petunia develop better coping mechanisms towards her situation. It is perhaps these lack of coping skills that makes Petunia smother her son and repress her feelings.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:33 pm 

When they were very young, I think that Petunia intuitively knew that magic would take Lily away from her - not in the way that it eventually did, but Lily would have the chance to do things that Petunia could not. Petunia wanted to go to Hogwarts also - not so much to learn magic, but to be with Lily. The way I read it - being separated from Lily was devestating to her.

I also think that was what attacted Petunia to Vernon - He was the most dull, ordinary man that she could possibly find. He would be someone who would never leave her.

I also think that her treatment of Harry was, in part, a result her resenting the magical world taking her sister away from her. His presence in their home was a constant reminder that she would never be able to make up with her sister. She resented Lily for leaving her and was coping with it by not having anything to do with her. But, at the same time, missed her sister. When Harry arrived on her doorstep, it was because his mother, her sister, was dead (and died to save Harry) - I think the only way she could live with herself (and keep peace between herself and Vernon) was to not let her get attached to Harry. If he went back to the magical world, her last tie to Lily would be gone forever. Plus, the letter from Dumbledore explained that Harry was somewhat protected from Voldemort in her presence - because of Lily. If she managed to squash the magic out of Harry, then maybe Voldemort would never come after him again.

In other words, I think that Petunia was indeed jealous of the magic that Lily had, but more because it meant they would no longer be together.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:11 pm 

Sure, there may be some lingering jealousy on Petunia's part. She wanted to be "special" like Lily, but wasn't. Their parents were so proud of Lily, and Petunia got left out. Yadda yadda yadda.

I think this is the bigger issue: Petunia hates magic because it killed her sister, and the scar on Harry's head is evidence of that. There may have been a chance for her to make up with Lily, and for them to salvage a relationship. But now that the Potters are dead, she feels incredibly guilty that she will never be able to do that. Perhaps she even thinks that Lily died without knowing that Petunia still loved her.

Too, the letter from Dumbledore explains about Lily's sacrifice for Harry, and how that love and protection live on through Petunia. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Petunia wishes she could have died for Lily and saved her in the same way that Lily died to save Harry.

Basically, all this is to say that Petunia feels guilty and resentful about what happened to Lily, and that's why she treats Harry the way she does. He is a living reminder of who his mother was; he had Lily's eyes, and Petunia has to look into those eyes every day, even though Lily is gone. I know that Lily and Petunia were not on good terms at the time of the Potters' deaths, but they were still sisters and they still loved each other.

Of course, none of this is an excuse for abusing Harry as the Dursleys do, but I think it explains a lot about Petunia. Vernon on the other hand, is a completely different story. Personally, I just think he's ignorant, selfish, a bigot, and very cruel.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:12 pm 

Petunia and Lily were in contact Petunia sent Lily and James a vase for the Chirstmas after Harry was born I also think they might have wrote to each orther but I think if Petunia really loved Lily she would have been kinder to Harry and not made him sleep in a cupboard for 10 years . Petunia only hates magic is becaues she as no magic the fact that magic killed her sister has nothing to do with it . I gree with Thestralstar about what they said about Vernon but Petunia let him be like that to Harry she could have stopped it if she wanted but she did not she also let Dudley bully Harry and let him have his gang over so it was always 5 against 1 poor Harry could never get a way from Dudley and his gang becaues he had Dudley and his gang school at home Dudley has his gang over most of the time .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 am 

I think Petunia's spoiling of Dudley shows just how unloved she felt by her own parents during childhood. It's quite sad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:48 am 

Even if Petunia did not feel that her Mum and Dad did not loved her she should had taken it out poor Harry by making do houes work whole Dudley sits watching TV or playing and also lateing Dudley do what he likes to Harry . You can not blume a child for being born with powers you do not have yourself that what Petunia did I bet poor Lily was scard by her powers instead of being kind to her younger sister she just called hers names and her Mum and Dad might have told Petunia off if they cought her calling Lily names than when Lily met Snape Petunia did not like it she felt lift out of things becaues Snape was telling Lily about a world she would not be a part of so when Harry came to live with them Petunia wanted to stop Harry from being a part of that world becaues she could not stop Lily from going to Hogwarts

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 am 

I found it interesting that the hosts of the podcast were speculating about Vernon Dursley's secret magical abilities when, in fact, Vernon is the only member of the Dursley household who is not magical in any respect at all. As we learn later in the series, both Petunia and Dudley do have a single, derivative magical ability: because they are blood-related to Lily, they have the ability to maintain, and also to break, the magical love-protection for Harry. (There is surely some sense in which maintaining the love-protection counts as a magical ability. After all, what is magical ability except the ability to affect magical forces and properties in the world?) And in fact, Petunia actually exercises and uses her single magical ability every day that she allows Harry to call her house his home (at least until he is of age). Petunia is undeniably the executor of Lily's love magic after her death, and I'm sure Dudley's blood relation to Lily had some effect on anchoring and maintaining the love magic as well. From this perspective, Vernon is decidedly a non-magical outsider in his own family.

I've often wondered whether Petunia understood that she really does have this one magical ability after Lily's death. I can imagine two possible effects that this magical ability might have had on Petunia's character.

One possibility is that Petunia did not understand that she was the executor of Lily's love magic after her death -- she didn't understand that Lily's death in fact gave her this one, derivative magical power or ability. In this case, I wonder whether Petunia might have had a better relationship with Harry if someone (Dumbledore?) had taken the time to explain this fact to her. For example, if we think that some of Petunia's abuse of Harry is partially rooted in her jealousy of Lily's magical ability, we might wonder: Would Petunia have treated Harry better if she properly understood her own magical role? With Lily's death, Petunia finally has an opportunity to participate in the magical world -- something she desperately wanted to do as a child. We might even think of Petunia's derivative magical ability as a final, unintentional gift from Lily: in death, Lily was able, in a very small way, to give Petunia some of the magic that drove them apart when they were growing up. In any case, perhaps if Petunia had fully understood that she was maintaining a magical effect and playing a crucial part in the magical world by taking Harry in, then some of her jealousy of Lily would have lessened, and Harry's upbringing might have looked very different.

The other possibility is that Petunia fully understood that by taking Harry in, she was introducing magic into her life and her son's in a profound way -- not just by taking in a magical child, but by accepting the magical burden of maintaining (instead of breaking) the love magic within the family bloodline. In this case, perhaps Petunia's awareness of this magical burden only added to her resentment of Lily and worsened her treatment of Harry. Perhaps Petunia's awareness that she now has one magical ability made her all the more angry at her sister: not only is she jealous of Lily's magical abilities, but now her sister has imposed a magical ability on her (Petunia), and what's worse, this imposed magical ability is not even really Petunia's own ability, but only an indirect, very powerful secondary effect from the talented sister she was so jealous of. In other words, Petunia is now as close to being magical as it is possible for a Muggle to be, but she still can't go to Hogwarts. She still doesn't have any intrinsic magical abilities. She still isn't as special as Lily (from her own perspective). And maybe this only added to Petunia's bitterness.

Just some thoughts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:59 am 

If you let anger , bitterness , jealousy and hate eat your it hurts you inside than you can not love any one not even yourself . which what Petunia did letting all her jealousy and bitterness eat her up and look what it had done to her . Petunia does not know how to love she feeds Dudley and Vernon to show them that she cares about them. Also buying Dudley lots of things that cost of lot of money

Offline Profile