It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vernon worrying over Petunia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:42 pm 

Having re read Chapter one now I've noticed something I didn't really see before. Vernon's main concearn while noticing all the strange happenings is Petunia's reaction. In a way he's more worried how she'll react than his own response. From Pottermore we know that Petunia was hugely jealous of Lily and I get the sense that Vernon knows this and is wanting to keep Petunia from being upset.

I know we're led through the books to hate the Dursleys but with this I almost felt for Vernon and saw in a small way that he might love Petunia and want to protect her.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vernon worrying over Petunia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm 

Yeah I actually for the first time noticed this when re-reading. How I haven't picked it up in the 200 other re-reads I don't know.

But I guess in the books we are always viewing the Durlsey's from Harry's perspective and from Harry's perspective they are totally and utterly bad people from how they treated him.

Regardless you can't deny the love they had for one another, or for Dudley as he was obviously the most precious person in their lives.

Obviously Petunia had felt something for Harry despite her claims of anything else as she took him in and kept him for sixteen years. So whether she felt it for Harry or Lily, it still remains true that although we see them as immoral, undignified characters there was love there.

Wand: Hawthorn, Phoenix Feather, 10', Surprisingly Swishy!

Slytherin House

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:17 pm 

I don't know if you read fanfics but I read a wonderful one where Petunia hid Harry in an attempt to keep him safe and from being found by wizards, in a sense of you took my sister you won't take my nephew. It made me really think a lot on Petunia's motives. I feel like we could have learnt more about her than we go and I have hopes that Pottermore will still reveal more yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:21 pm 

nabi_sarang wrote:
I don't know if you read fanfics but I read a wonderful one where Petunia hid Harry in an attempt to keep him safe and from being found by wizards, in a sense of you took my sister you won't take my nephew. It made me really think a lot on Petunia's motives. I feel like we could have learnt more about her than we go and I have hopes that Pottermore will still reveal more yet.

I haven't read fanfics in years (feels old lol) but that one sounds brilliant. If you have a link to it I'd greatly appreciate it.

I really hope Pottermore adds onto the background of Vernon and Petunia, although I think they have covered what they can, fingers crossed for more though.

Slytherin House

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:27 pm 

Mart86 wrote:
nabi_sarang wrote:

I haven't read fanfics in years (feels old lol) but that one sounds brilliant. If you have a link to it I'd greatly appreciate it.

I really hope Pottermore adds onto the background of Vernon and Petunia, although I think they have covered what they can, fingers crossed for more though.

http://hp-darkfest.livejournal.com/55855.html This is the link for the fic

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:32 pm 

nabi_sarang wrote:
Mart86 wrote:
nabi_sarang wrote:

http://hp-darkfest.livejournal.com/55855.html This is the link for the fic

Thanks, but it's gone. Must have been taken down :cry: Oh well, thanks for trying lol

Slytherin House

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm 

Mart86 wrote:

Thanks, but it's gone. Must have been taken down :cry: Oh well, thanks for trying lol

Gone? I read it again after posting the link. That's really weird

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 pm 

nabi_sarang wrote:
Mart86 wrote:

:lol: Apparently I had a blonder than Draco moment lol. I copied and pasted the entire line you posted not realising you wrote beside the address and pasted it into the address bar.

If I only had a brain! Thanks again

Slytherin House

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:36 pm 

nabi_sarang wrote:
Mart86 wrote:

Just finished the fanfic, it was fantastic. Towards the end I wish they had kinda stuck to the canon, but brilliant none the less. I really hope by OotP we get more info on Petunia. I liked her really, all I need now is for JK to prove there a bit of a more humane side to her lol

Slytherin House

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:29 am 

Mart86 wrote:
nabi_sarang wrote:
Mart86 wrote:

Just finished the fanfic, it was fantastic. Towards the end I wish they had kinda stuck to the canon, but brilliant none the less. I really hope by OotP we get more info on Petunia. I liked her really, all I need now is for JK to prove there a bit of a more humane side to her lol

I'm glad you liked it. It made me think a lot more of Petunia and how her situation could be viewed differently.

Offline Profile